Date of birth: October 10, 1976
Giancarlo Ottaviano is Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology at University of Padova. Author of papers focused on nasal physiology with particular regard on the measurement of nasal flows and resistances and on taste and smell physiology and pathology. Invited speaker in national and international meetings, member of the editorial board of Rhinology. Reviewer for peer-reviewed journals with impact factor. Reviewer of the Italian National Agency for University (ANVUR) for the VQR 2004-2010 and for the VQR 2011-2014.
Teacher at the School of Medicine with the Course “Rhinology: Respiratory And Olfactory Functions. Multidisciplinary Diagnostics And Treatments”, at the school of Speech and Language Therapy and at the School of Specialization of Otolaryngology and Audiology of Padova University.
Principal Investigator of many research projects in the field of Otolaryngology and in particular of nasal physiology and rhinological diseases, including olfactory disorders.
Member of the Italian Society of Otolaryngology and Cranio-facial Surgery (SIO), co-Founder of the Italian Rhinology Academy (IAR), Member of the European Rhinology Society, Member of the International Rhinologic Society.
- Hummel T, Whitcroft KL, Andrews P, Altundag A, Cinghi C, Costanzo RM, Damm M, Frasnelli J, Gudziol H, Gupta N, Haehner A, Holbrook E, Hong SC, Hornung D, Hüttenbrink KB, Kamel R, Kobayashi M, Konstantinidis I, Landis BN, Leopold DA, Macchi A, Miwa T, Moesges R, Mullol J, Mueller CA, Ottaviano G, Passali GC, Philpott C, Pinto JM, Ramakrishnan VJ, Rombaux P, Roth Y, Schlosser RA, Shu B, Soler G, Stjärne P, Stuck BA, Vodicka J, Welge-Luessen A. Position paper on olfactory dysfunction. Rhinology 2017 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ottaviano G, Savietto E, Scarpa B, Bertocco A, Maculan P, Sergi G, Martini A, Manzato E, Marioni G. Influence of number of drugs on olfaction in the elderly. Rhinology. In press.
- Cantone E, Ciofalo A, Vodicka J, Iacono V, Mylonakis I, Scarpa B, Russo M, Iengo M, de Vincentiis M, Martini A, Ottaviano G. Pleasantness of olfactory and trigeminal stimulants in different Italian regions. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Aug 31. doi: 10.1007/s00405-017-4722-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pendolino AL, Nardello E, Lund VJ, Maculan P, Scarpa B, Martini A, Ottaviano G. Comparison between unilateral PNIF and rhinomanometry in the evaluation of nasal cycle. Rhinology. 2017 Oct 22. doi: 10.4193/Rhin17.168. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ottaviano G, Ermolao A, Nardello E, Muci F, Favero V, Zaccaria M, Favero L. Breathing parameters associated to two different external nasal dilator strips in endurance athletes. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2017 Dec;44(6):713-718.
- Ottaviano G, Scadding GK, Iacono V, Scarpa B, Martini A, Lund VJ. Peak nasal inspiratory flow and peak expiratory flow. Upright and sitting values in an adult population. Rhinology. 2016 Jun;54(2):160-3.
- Ottaviano G, Fokkens WJ. Measurements of nasal airflow and patency: a critical review with emphasis on the use of peak nasal inspiratory flow in daily practice. Allergy. 2016 Feb;71(2):162-74. doi: 10.1111/all.12778. Review.
- Ottaviano G, Frasson G, Nardello E, Martini A. Olfaction deterioration in cognitive disorders in the elderly. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2016 Feb;28(1):37-45. Review.
- Ottaviano G, Cantone E, D'Errico A, Salvalaggio A, Citton V, Scarpa B, Favaro A, Sinisi AA, Liuzzi R, Bonanni G, Di Salle F, Elefante A, Manara R, Staffieri A, Martini A, Brunetti A. Sniffin' Sticks and olfactory system imaging in patients with Kallmann syndrome. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2015 Sep;5(9):855-61.
- Ottaviano G, Marioni G, Frasson G, Zuccarello D, Marchese-Ragona R, Staffieri C, Nardello E, Frigo AC, Foresta C, Staffieri A. Olfactory threshold for bourgeonal and sexual desire in young adult males. Med Hypotheses. 2015 May;84(5):437-41.